Executive Director (ED) – Oregon Economic Development Association (OEDA)
Acumen Executive Search is a boutique recruiting firm specializing in finding the right person for our client companies. Our clients enjoy increased retention and productivity with lowered expenses due to the quality of candidates and services we provide.
Acumen has partnered with Oregon Economic Development Association (OEDA) for the placement of their newly created position – Executive Director (ED).
About OEDA The Oregon Economic Development Association (OEDA) is seeking a qualified Executive Director who can lead and grow the organization. OEDA is a statewide non-profit membership organization that works to support its members – the state and local economic development professionals who are on Oregon’s front line in diversifying and expanding the state’s economy. OEDA believes the success of Oregon’s Economic development is accomplished through its core values of advocacy, education, and collaboration. More information about OEDA can be found on our website at www.oeda.biz.
OEDA has been newly created by merging the Association of Oregon Redevelopment Agencies (AORA) and Association of Oregon Industries (AOI), both operating now under the OEDA brand. OEDA is seeking an Executive to manage the day-to-day details of bringing our two organizations together, and who can grow into the Executive Director role ultimately serving as the face of the organization in our larger association over the next three to five years.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for OEDA’s programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. They will initially develop deep knowledge of field, core programs, operations, and business plans.
If you are or prefer:
- Skilled in implementing the day to day nuts and bolts of an association
- Able to communicate effectively with Oregon governor, political leaders and CEO’s
- Focused on expanding membership
- Co-ordinating and administering board activities
- Managing the details of merged financials
- Coordinating and supporting OEDA’s lobbyists
- Grow OEDA to become the leader in economic development association in Oregon, two year interim 1099 position with potential to evolve to a permanent position thereafter.
OEDA may be for you.
OEDA is looking to add a newly created position – Executive Director (ED). This position will help develop and implement a new 5-year strategic plan for the merged organizations, helping bridge the urban/rural divide, and help launch a new professional development program in partnership with the professional development committee.
This position is not geographically constrained and the ideal candidate could be located anywhere in Oregon, however proximity to Salem helpful. The ideal candidate will also have familiarity with Oregon, an interest in public policy, public speaking, and marketing, a strong attention to detail, and be a competent fiscal manager. Experience in economic development welcome but not required.
In the Executive Director (ED) position, you will be responsible for:
Leadership & Management:
- Work with Board President to develop and monitor Board meeting agendas and actions relevant to organizational priorities
- Attend and participate in Board of Directors meeting
- Maintain, influence and engage with, while continually improving relationships with constituent groups
- Ensure excellent delivery of programs, program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals
- Actively engage and energize OEDA members, board members, committees, partnering organizations, and sponsors
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build board involvement with strategic direction
- Oversee and direct day-to-day office functioning
- Coordinate leadership and financial management of OEDA’s pay-to-lay teams; Team Oregon and the Urban Renewal Committee
- Manage Team Oregon activities, including but not limited to coordination of Team Oregon logistics such as outbound travel, billings, and collections
- Manage Urban Renewal activities such as internal coordination for legislative meetings and soliciting and managing contracted services for work products such as an update to the Best Practices Manual, white papers, etc.
Finances, Fundraising & Communications:
- Develop a budget proposal in collaboration with the Executive Committee for Board review and approval
- Oversee and direct financial procedures and practices for the organization in accordance with accepted accounting practices and OEDA policies. Assist in delivering on commitments made to Sponsors; support existing program operations
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand. Utilize external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities
- Champion board fundraising efforts
As the position grows and evolves over time, the Executive Director (ED) will be expected to:
- Expand the role and responsibilities to focus on organizational sustainability and growth strategies
- Update and implement the strategic plans
- Build partnerships, establish and expand positive relationships with Sponsors and political and community leaders
- Be an external presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of OEDA programs
The ED will be thoroughly committed to OEDA’s mission. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience.
Specific requirements include:
- Advanced degree, ideally an MBA, with at least 5 years of people, program, or project management experience; track record of effectively leading an organization or program
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs. Be exemplary in the execution of member support, such as invoicing, communications, website updates, account and budget management, records management, meeting management, etc.
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate and inspire existing board member relationships
- Marketing and public relations experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Able to align tactical efforts and annual goals with long-range strategies
If interest in the Executive Director (ED) position, please send the following to Suzanne@AcumenESearch.com. Proposal Requirements Proposals should describe your experience related to the specific responsibilities listed in this Request for Proposal. Proposals should include the following elements:
- An introductory cover letter
- Name, background, and experience including client references for similar activities (contact persons, addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers)
- A statement of qualifications including a complete list of services you can provide
- A cost proposal should include assumptions as to number of hours, cost per hour and incidental expenses (e.g. travel) required to carry out the primary responsibilities listed above
- A sample of marketing, promotional or conference materials, newsletters or other communications you may have produced which you feel might give ODEA a better understanding of your capabilities
Additionally, please address the following in your submission by describing:
- how you might deal with some of the challenges facing ODEA in the future with respect to membership, financial resources, and use of new technologies
- your familiarity with economic development, association management and your knowledge of managing a statewide, non-profit organization
- your experience creating, or in maintaining membership databases and websites
- your unique style of management as it pertains to working with Boards, long-range planning, and your personal style in interacting with members
- how you would like to be involved in providing direction to ODEA, how you would provide assistance and support to new members or executives, and how you might get “inactive” members more involved
- how you would provide proactive added value and excellent customer service to OEDA
- how you would see ODEA’s role in diversifying and expanding the state’s economy over the next five years
If interest in the Executive Director (ED) position, please send your responses to Suzanne@AcumenESearch.com.