The EDCO Board of Directors is recruiting our next Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
For consideration, submit a resume and cover letter outlining your unique qualifications and experience to the EDCO Executive Committee by email to [email protected]
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Economic Development for Central Oregon (EDCO), is a non-profit organization supported by private and public members. Our mission is to create a diversified regional economy and a strong base of middle-income jobs in Central Oregon. We focus on helping companies do the following.
MOVE. We attract and guide outside employers through the relocation process as a resource for regional data, incentive, talent, site selection, and more.
START. We mentor and advise scalable young companies from concept to exit on issues such as access to capital, critical expertise, and strategy.
GROW. We partner with local traded-sector companies to help them grow and expand.
EDCO currently has a staff of 12 professionals and an annual operating budget of $1.6M. EDCO is overseen by a Board of Directors comprised of more than 40 local community leaders and business executives.
Where you get to live.
Central Oregon is the three-county region of Deschutes, Crook and Jefferson Counties, located in the shadow of the Cascade Mountains and home to numerous lakes and rivers. Central Oregon is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise. Check out the sights and sounds of our largest city, Bend at: https://vimeo.com/200038114.
About the role
The CEO will lead a prominent, long-standing and well-respected economic development organization. Capitalizing on EDCO’s recent growth and successes, the CEO will expand EDCO’s membership and increase organizational revenues. The CEO will lead and mentor a team of economic development professionals. The CEO will enhance EDCO’s role in the region by boosting marketing, public relations and external communications; driving economic development opportunities; and, deepening relationships with city and county elected officials throughout the region. Finally, the CEO will refine internal business processes and improve internal communications while being transparent, productive, and accountable.
- Crafting and executing strategic plans and effectively communicating them to staff, stakeholders, and communities
- Managing staff effectively to achieve best results, using the strengths of each person, and delegating when appropriate
- Creating professional development opportunities for the staff
- Serving as the primary representative of organization to external stakeholders, which includes preparing and delivering written and oral presentations to the Board of Directors, public partners, local associations, industry groups, and others, updating them on the corporation’s activities, accomplishments, challenges, etc.
- Broadening and deepening revenue streams to support stable revenue
- Establishing workplace expectations to meet the needs of the organization and the employees
- Serving as the regional economic development expert
- Leading the establishment, reestablishment or maturation of partnerships related to work force development, housing, employment land development and other local and State business-friendly policies and legislation
- Attending local, regional, state, national meetings/trade shows on behalf of the organization and community as needed
- Financial management of the organization, including but not limited to, developing and overseeing the annual budget
- Curating and providing staff support and direction to the EDCO Board of Directors
- Identifying and analyzing trends (i.e. the creation of the Venture Catalyst position) to further steer the organization to enhance economic development output
- Sustaining, refining, and enhancing the regional/local economic development strategy
- Developing, managing, and communicating with Boards of Directors
The ideal candidate has:
- Experience leading successful economic development agencies
- The genuine desire to help companies add jobs and capital investment to the Central Oregon economy
- The ability to create an atmosphere and environment of innovation
- A communication style that is clear, authentic, and empathetic
- Experience developing position descriptions, salary ranges, hiring, and management of staff
- The ability and desire to create an environment where feedback is seen as a gift and welcome at every turn
- Humility and a passion for businesses’ success, no matter who gets the credit
- Crafted and lead membership and sales initiatives
- Assisted businesses with expansions, relocations, and start up efforts
- A proven track record in leading staff to meeting agreed-upon goals and outcomes
- A passion for maintaining and enhancing an industry-leading and well-respected organization
- A desire to access and use expertise on Board for constant and continued organization improvement
- An understanding of the Central Oregon region and the regional industry mix
- An understanding of the State and regional political, economic development and land development landscapes and the ability to collaborate with elected officials
- An understanding of industry best practice for economic development agencies including, but not limited to, revenue controls, board management, employment laws, and staff professional development
- Experience leveraging Local, State and Federal incentive programs to benefit client companies
- Experience communicating the values of economic development and the value of economic development agencies to a wide array of stakeholders, including, but not limited to, businesses, elected officials, economic development partners, investors, funders, and communities at large
- Ability to influence legislation through relationships and advocacy
For consideration, submit a resume and cover letter outlining your unique qualifications and experience to the EDCO Executive Committee by email to [email protected]. The CEO job posting will close at noon on Wednesday April 27.