We’re Hiring: Redmond Internship Coordinator
To apply for this position, click here.
Primary responsibilities are to coordinate work experience opportunities for young people in the greater Redmond, Oregon area, with a specific focus on efforts to catalyze employers to create internships, apprenticeships and other meaningful short-term employment. The Internship Coordinator is responsible for the overall development, implementation, daily operation, and evaluation of the Youth CareerConnect program within the Redmond area. The Coordinator works with local business leaders to promote the program and assess employer needs for qualified internship candidates. The Coordinator also works with schools and non-profits to lead workshops and develop opportunities for young people with regards to work experience and work readiness skills. Objectives and outcomes are set through the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) by the Internship Advisory Committee made up of representatives from East Cascades Works (EC Works), COCC, REA, EDCO, STEM Hub, and the Redmond School District. Performance evaluations will be based upon completion of assignments and results obtained. The Coordinator reports to the Youth CareerConnect Regional Managing Director of EDCO.
PRIMARY DUTIES: May include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop business contacts and internship sites in the Redmond area, bringing new businesses on board to host youth interns. Utilizes Chamber, REDI, REA, and other client databases to create active lists of Redmond employers willing to mentor students and encourage internship opportunities at their place of employment.
- Work with designated school and non-profit program staff to recruit and provide individual advising to students in Redmond interested in having an internship or other meaningful work opportunities.
- Work with businesses to develop internships.
- Match students with companies to achieve mutually beneficial outcomes.
- Support businesses to be successful at hosting student interns, including consultation around program design, position descriptions, human resources options, and other support during the internship term.
- Design and implement marketing strategies to identify, attract and involve students, employers and faculty (K-12, COCC, OSU-Cascades) in the internship program.
- Assemble and maintain files for each participating student including documentation of progress and related paperwork such as: resumes, agreement forms, assignments, and employer evaluations. Maintain database of student referrals, placements and outcomes and match them up with employer needs.
- Coordinate additional activities including: internship site visits, intern spotlights, internship fairs, and other special programming. Organize and deliver presentations related to the Program, the development of critical workplace skills and the career planning and job search process.
- Serve as a liaison between Redmond employers, the school district, non-profit partners, COCC, and OSU-Cascades regarding administrative and operating requirements of the program.
- Assist in identifying, developing and maintaining internship opportunities while also maintaining positive relationships with employers.
- Collaborate with internship advisors within schools and programs to provide high-quality and academically relevant work experiences whenever possible/practicable.
- Facilitate the resolution of concerns brought forward by employers, students and/or faculty.
- Design, update and maintain automated database and web page. Prepare progress reports and semester reports concerning the Program.
- Participate in professional development activities and other outreach activities promoting internships in Redmond.
Performs other duties as requested.
Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to position requirements. A combination of relevant work experience may substitute for a Bachelor’s degree.
Experience working with business groups, internship, placement, student development, employment recruiting, or other relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
In many aspects, the core of this position is that of a matchmaker. The ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with business leaders, students, faculty, staff, and the public is paramount. While the position will have several resources for feedback and evaluation, the Coordinator must have a track record and aptitude for working autonomously and with initiative. Detail and quality are important to this role, yet without sacrificing responsiveness in a fast-paced environment. Current knowledge of the job market and occupations, industry trends and area companies is a bonus initially but is critical for long-term success. Public speaking to both small and large groups may be required, and general communication via phone, email, in writing, and in-person is an important aspect of this role. The ability to organize work effectively, conceptualize and prioritize objectives and exercise independent judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities is also required. Working knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office programs, a CRM and other office equipment are necessary.
Employees are responsible for performing their duties in an environment that is free from discrimination, intimidation, coercion or harassment, including sexual harassment. Work is indoors in an office setting as well as out at businesses in Redmond. The noise level in the work environment is low to moderate. While performing the duties of this position, the employee may be required to travel. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Bend YCC Internship Director/Regional Managing Director. Guidance for program development and implementation will also be provided by an advisory board comprised of key funders of the effort and other community partners relevant to the program.
Economic Development for Central Oregon is an AA/EEO Employer and complies with
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
To apply to this position, click here.